The University of Alberta has recently acquired the ability to link into to the Provincial Radio Control Centre (PRCC). This is very beneficial to the field researcher who is working in remote places. The PRCC offers a variety of services but particular to field research:
- Hazardous situation monitoring with safety timer
- Regular check-ins
- Emergency Response
- Weather warnings, AMBER Alerts etc… to field staff who have devices
The advantage of this system is the PRCC is monitored 24/7 365 days per week. If you are interested in acquiring the ability to use this call-in centre, here are a few things you should know:
- Each user will have to purchase a Safety Link Application and the yearly license is $77/year/participant.
- If you will be in areas without cell service, you will need to have a satellite phone, OR an inReach device OR a SPOT device (2nd or 3 generation is recommended).
- The InReach or SPOT devices have extra costs affiliated with them that are associated with linking the device into the PRCC. For example, for the SPOT device, you will need to deactivate the device with your current supplier and reactivate with the PRCC. Due to this requirement, the user would have to pay a reactivation fee of $60.00/device as well as an extra data feed cost of of $62.50. The inReach's costs are higher, at $165.00. Each of the costs are spelled out in the forms below.
Steps and forms required to initiate PRCC registration:
1. Have your group prepare the UofA Homebase Location Registration Form. This will represent the individual research group. After completing this, additional staff can be added to the "home base" group. The location for this group is where the research lab is located on campus. Once complete, you can start adding staff to that location.
2. Have each person in your lab who will be using the PRCC fill out the UofA User Registration Form. This form is what the PRCC uses to allocate callsigns to the staff members and enter all contact information into their database.
3. Fill out the Smartphone Licence Order Form to purchase the Safety Link application.
4. Any inReach and SPOT devices being transferred over will need to be registered and activated by AWARE360. Typically you may be able to get any unused subscription back as a credit with the provider you have signed up with. Depending upon your device, please complete the SPOT device form or InReach form.
5. Please submit your forms electronically to email@example.com (with subject PRCC Application) or through campus mail to our office at 1-03 South Academic Building and then we will submit them to PRCC. We will be email you within three days of receiving the application to confirm your submission and to schedule your PRCC training.