Unmanned Air Vehicles UAV

Many researchers are incorporating the use of unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) or drones to compliment their research.  Although there are many advantages to consider their use, it is also very important to be aware of the federal regulations which govern the licensing, operations and use of UAVs. 

The legislation that governs all Aviation activities in Canadian Airspace is the Canadian Aeronautics Act and the Canadian Aviation Regulations, and in particular, Standard 623, Special Flight Operations (S. 623.65).

Here are some helpful links to get you started on getting you up to speed on the use of UAVs/drones in field research:

If you have questions on the University's insurance coverage of UAV operations, please contact the Office of Insurance and Risk Assessment.

There are other researchers at the University of Alberta who have applied for a SFOC and FRO can connect you with them so that you can find out what is involved in the process.  Please feel free to email us.